If you’re a gardener or a landscaper, then you know how difficult it can be to keep deer from destroying your hard work. One effective solution is to install a poly deer fence. In this article, we’ll explore the importance of poly deer fencing and how it can help keep your property safe from deer damage.
What is Poly Deer Fencing?
Poly deer fencing is a type of fence that is made from a durable, high-density polyethylene material. The fence is designed to be strong enough to withstand the pressure of deer, yet flexible enough to prevent damage to the deer or the fence itself. It is often used to protect gardens, crops, and other outdoor areas from deer damage.
Importance of Poly Deer Fencing
- Protection for Your Garden: One of the main benefits of poly deer fencing is that it provides protection for your garden. Deer are notorious for their ability to damage plants and crops, and a poly deer fence can prevent them from accessing your property and causing damage.
- Low Maintenance: Poly deer fencing is relatively low maintenance compared to other types of fences. Once installed, it requires minimal upkeep and can last for years.
- Versatile: Poly deer fencing can be customized to fit your specific needs. It can be installed around the entire perimeter of your property or around specific areas that you want to protect. Additionally, it can be made in a variety of sizes and heights, depending on your needs.
- Cost-Effective: Installing a poly deer fence can be a cost-effective way to protect your property from deer damage. Compared to other types of fences, such as stone or brick, poly deer fencing is relatively affordable.
- Easy Installation: Poly deer fencing is relatively easy to install, even for DIYers. Depending on the size of your property and the type of fence you choose, installation can usually be completed in a day or two.
How to Install Poly Deer Fencing
- Plan Your Fence: Before you start installing your poly deer fence, it’s important to plan out your fence line. Determine the perimeter of the area you want to protect and mark it with stakes and string.
- Choose Your Materials: There are a variety of materials you can use for poly deer fencing, including high-density polyethylene and metal. Choose the materials that are best suited for your needs and budget.
- Install Fence Posts: Next, you’ll need to install the fence posts. The posts should be placed at regular intervals along the perimeter of the fenced area, typically 8 to 10 feet apart. The posts should be driven into the ground until they are secure and stable.
- Attach the Fencing Material: Once the posts are in place, it’s time to attach the poly deer fencing material to the posts. Start at one end of the fence and unroll the material along the length of the fence. Secure the top of the material to the posts using wire or zip ties. Then, use a staple gun to secure the bottom of the material to the posts.
- Secure the Fence to the Ground: To prevent deer from crawling under the fence, you’ll need to secure the bottom of the fence to the ground. You can do this by burying the bottom of the fence material in the ground or by using stakes or other supports to hold the fence in place.
- Maintain Your Fence: Once your poly deer fence is installed, it’s important to maintain it properly to ensure that it continues to provide the protection you need. Inspect the fence regularly for damage or wear, and repair any issues as needed.